The past couple days at the orphanage, we've been sanding and waxing the wood floors upstairs. We didn't have electric sanders or anything like that, but we did what we could. Being an orphanage, there were lots of caked on spots of urine, food, spilled milk, and even feces. But we got it done, and it smells a lot better upstairs now.
Yesterday because of sanding, I didn't get to spend too much time with the kids, but today toward the end, I did. I played a lot with Andrea, the baby. She doesn't like her socks or hat, but she always smiles. Most of the kids are recovering from their colds, but there are still some runny noses and fevers here and there. I went to tickle one kid's belly... with my face... today, and found out the hard way there was a big clump of snot on his shirt. Yuck.
This evening Jean Carla took us to visit Santa Teresa Convent Museo, which is an old convent from 1790 that is still open to the public for viewing. There is a separate part of the convent that is still functional for 12-15 cloistered nuns and some non-cloistered nuns. So... I was able to get Jesse's "something Catholicy" gift today. The place had such a strange, old energy about it. It was like you just wanted to be quiet in there. There were a lot of large, wax figures of saints and religious figures placed around, and some of them were really intense. We walked up to the old cloister bars where the nuns were able to hear the Mass, and towards the end, we walked up a really narrow spiral staircase to the roof. The views of the city were great from up there. It was interesting to be standing on the roof of a convent from 1790 and seeing Entel buildings and people whizzing past on motorcycles. Everything was stone, and parts were finished with mud brick. It was about my favorite thing we've done here so far. I got a lot of great pictures, some of which I'll post later. I can't wait to share my photos of this one with everyone when I get back. We drank some strange barley drink at the end, too. The nuns make it. Jesse, if you're reading this- you would have flipped out!!! This place was amazing. I saw one of the nuns. You would have approved of the long brown and gray habit.
Then it was off to the travel agency so Jean Carla could help Cari finalize her travel plans for Macchu Picchu. While they were doing that, Daniel, Alexis and I went to Burger King. Ever since they messed up my whopper by forgetting the cheese on my way to Pittsburgh Airport, I've really been craving a burger down here. It really hit the spot. :)
Daniel and I played chess again tonight. He whooped me again, but I did better. John, you better be ready when I get home, because I feel there is no way that I am not getting better by playing this guy every night.
This weekend we are headed to Chapare for an overnight excursion. I'll get to see the rainforest. So I'm looking forward to that.
Cari and I are in new rooms now. Originally, we were sharing a guest housish type building, but now I'm in a room in the main house, and she's moved to another part of the guest house type places. I mean, we're in a hostel, so all the places are for guests. But anyway... this room is nice. I have the TV on here beside me, and I have my own bathroom. The shower is electric. I haven't quite figured that out yet, but I think it means there is an apparatus in the shower head that boils the water to create hot water. So that's a new concept. There is also a sign above the toilet that says not to put any paper in the toilet. So... that's interesting as well. Guess I'll put it in the trash can? I've also lost my yoga space, which is the really sucky part about this. There was a shared space in the other room that I was using, but now there is not enough room. So I guess I'll get up the guts to do it outside or in another more public space or I just won't do it for the rest of the trip. I don't know that that's a great alternative, though, because I don't have anything else right now to really decompress my back. Carumba.
I have an essay due Monday. Really don't know when I'm going to do that. Yeah yeah, I should be doing it now, but I already skipped posting yesterday and don't want to forget things. I'm keeping this blog a little for myself, too, so that I can print it off when I get home and remember this trip.
Mix has been giving me fits here, so I haven't been able to email. My apologies. I'll actually be impressed if this posts tonight. Anyway, this is later than I usually stay up here, so I think it's bed time. Buenas noches a todos.
Peace, blessings,
Casie
And you thought you would be burgerless until you got home!! See there, they have cheeseburgers too. Takes lots of pictures at the rainforest! That should be great. Getting ready here for our concert at the Bass Festival - we will be playing outdoors - very humid here and chance of rain - but we will be under a shelter. So going to get ready now. Love you!
ReplyDelete